11 Aug Meet Mark Our School Nurse
Meet Mark Our School Nurse
We are delighted to welcome Mark, our new School Nurse. School Nurses are registered nurses who specialise in public and child health. The team of school nurses, community staff nurses and clinical support workers work closely with children and young people, parents, carers and teachers, promoting health and well being in accordance with our Healthy Child Programme (5-19 years).
School Nurses are available 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, both during term time and school holidays.
Mark has been assigned to Peregrinate by the School Nursing Service and he will provide free and confidential information and advice about a wide range of health issues for our learners to help and reassure them as well as their parents and carers. Just some of the issues Mark can help with are:
- Healthy eating
- Help to stop smoking
- Stress at home or at school
- Body shape or weight
- Worries about other members of your family
- Relationships and sex
- Alcohol or drugs advice
- Body changes and puberty
- And much, much more
Our School Nurse can offer:
- Health check (if required)
- Weekly drop-in clinics at school
- Confidential, one-to-one appointments
- Signposting to other information and services that could help you.
What do we do
The School Nursing Service works to deliver the Healthy Child Programme, which is a national Department of Health initiative aimed at promoting optimal health and wellbeing for all children. The School Nurse has two main roles:
- To give confidential advice, care and treatment to secondary age children and young people, their parents and carers
- To look after and protect children and young people’s physical and emotional health and make sure they have everything they need to be healthy It is really important for every young person to learn to look after their own health, and the School Nurse supports this by offering free and confidential information and advice on a wide range of topics.
The School Nursing Service is made up of a team of health professionals, committed to promoting the health of school age children from 4 – 19 years and the wider school community. School Nurses are registered nurses who have had experience and training in public and child health. School Nurses are not based within school but work closely with schools and other health professionals to ensure that any individual health needs are addressed early and that each child achieves his or her full potential.
The School Nurse provides a completely confidential service. This means that you or your child can discuss any personal information in complete confidence that it will not be shared with anyone else without your permission. We would only ever pass on any information in order to protect you or someone else from serious harm, and whenever possible we would also discuss this with you first.
Other Useful Contacts
Childline – confidential helpline t: 0800 1111 (24 hours) www.childline.org.uk
Talk to Frank – confidential drugs information t. 0800 77 66 00 www.talktofrank.com
Samaritans – confidential emotional support and advice t. 08457 90 90 90 www.samaritans.org.uk